Originally opened in 1907 as the Hazelwood Sanatorium for the treatment of tuberculosis, Hazelwood Developmental was established after the need for tuberculosis treatment facilities had long passed. In 1915, the original building of Hazelwood Sanatorium was completely destroyed in a fire but was soon rebuilt. As with other facilities of its kind in the Commonwealth of Kentucky, Hazelwood saw expansions and progressive changes over the years. By the early 1970s, Hazelwood Sanatorium stopped treating tubercular cases, despite the objections from a few physicians. The Commonwealth decided to repurpose Hazelwood for the intellectually and developmentally disabled who were not ambulatory. Previously, Frankfort State Hospital housed these individuals, many of whom were in so-called “crib units.” These crib units were fundamentally the same as cribs for babies, just on a much larger scale. Hazelwood is active today and operates as Hazelwood Intermediate Care Facility.
Contributed by Robin O. and Shawn L.
Some newspaper images/clippings are from historical archives of The Courier-Journal (Louisville, Kentucky). Some photos are provided from former annual reports of the hospital to the Commonwealth of Kentucky. All other photos were obtained, donated, or copied from state and hospital archives or personal collections. Please contact us before using any photographs or images on this website. We do not own the copyrights to all photos and those photos we do own require written permission before any use.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.