Julius Marks Sanitarium

Opened in 1917 as the Blue Grass Sanatorium. Owned and funded by Fayette County to help combat the tuberculosis issue. Leo Marks donated to upgrade buildings and equipment in the name of his father in 1924. By the early 1950s patient population as greatly decreased due to better treatment and the facility was converted into…

Outwood State Hospital & School

History Work began on the hospital in 1920 & officially opened in 1922 in Dawson Springs as a public health hospital (U.S. Veterans Hospital No. 79) for discharged sailors, marines & soldiers. It’s main purpose was to treat victims of tuberculosis and gas attacks from the fighting in Europe in World War 1. This predated…