A photographic journey into Central State Hospitals past…
– Photos with an asterisk denotes images from the Louisville Courier-Journal newspaper archives
Cover letter for the Asylums first annual report. – November 1873
Central Kentucky Lunatic Asylum Circa 1884. Photo by Theodore Irvin Jr.
Pusey Building. Circa 1901
View of the asylum looking east to west. Circa 1901.
Dr. Thomas Palmer Satterwhite, President of the asylums Board of Commisioners from 1896 until 1903.
Story from the August 8, 1903 Courier-Journal about the dedication of the Industrial and Amusement hall. *
Lakeland Railroad Station. Circa 1905
Administration building. Circa 1905.
The tennis court at Central. Circa 1905
View of the fountain and garden facing Lakeland Rd. Circa 1905
Central Kentucky Asylum for the Insane. Circa 1906
Lakeland Road heading towards the asylum. Circa 1906
Interior of the Industrial and Amusement building. Circa 1906. Including (from l-r) the ballroom, library, and billiard room.
The male dining room at Central State. Circa 1906
Carriage step in front of the asylum. Circa 1906.
Central Kentucky Asylum for the Insane. Circa 1910
A group of patients watching a baseball game on the grounds. Circa 1910
The asylum laundry building. Circa 1910
Graduating student nurse class in front of the Goodwood Building. Circa 1913
A group of male patients enjoying the day outside of Wards 26 & 27. C. 1913
Central State Hospitals engine room. Circa 1913
Concrete pump house. Circa 1913. The foundation of this building can still be found on the grounds
African-American wards and new water tower. Circa 1913
Front of the Administration building. Circa 1913
Postcard of the asylum. Circa 1920
A group of former servicemen being treated at Central State. Circa mid-1920’s
A young all-girl band playing in front of the administration building at Central State. Circa 1932. – Photo from University of Louisville archives.
The band performs for an audience of patients in Goodwood Hall. Circa 1932. – Photo from University of Louisville archives.
Hospital Kitchen. Circa 1933 – Photo from University of Louisville archives.
Hospital Cafeteria. Circa 1933 – Photo from University of Louisville Archives
Photos showing the state of disrepair and overcrowded conditions at Central State. – March 1940. *
Patients enjoying square dancing. – March 1940. *
Patients eating in the dilapidated male dining room at Central. – April 1940. *
The patients of Central State enjoying a outdoor talent show on the grounds. – September 1941. *
Superintendent Isham Kimbell with Mrs. A.T. McCormack and a cow. – October 1941. *
Kentucky Governor Keen Johnson and his party on an inspection tour at Central State. – October 1941. *
Before and after pictures of Ward 21-25 after renovation. – March 1942. *
Before and after photos of the renovated interior of the ward building. – March 1942 *
Patient beds situated in the Amusement Hall due to the lack of roof over their wards. Due to lack of funds, construction and renovations had been stopped. – December 1943 *
Due to a shortage of funds, this roof sits unfinished. – December 1943. *
A group pf patients walking towards to dining hall amongst unfinished construction. December 1943 *
A ward nurse fixing a female patients hair in the dismal surroundings at Central. – December 1943. *
The cover of the December 1943 issue of the Lakeland Echo. This was an in-house newspaper for patients.
Nurses Dormitory. Circa 1943
Kentucky Governor Simeon Willis along with Dr. A. M. Lyon, director of the states mental institutions and Joshua B. Everett, chairman of the Board of Welfare at the dedication of the reconstructed Administration Building. – October 1944. *
Western side of the Occupational Therapy Building, formerly used as the African American segregated wards. Circa 1947
Western male ward. Circa 1947
Eastern female ward. Circa 1947
Patients waiting to be seen at the new cancer clinic at Central State. – August 1948 *
The new $350,000 kitchen at Central State. – July 1949 *
A patient undergoing a dismissal review on Wednesday or “Staff Day” at Central State. On the left Dr. J. A. Little, psychiatric consultant and to the right is Dr. Frank Peddicord, assistant Superintendent. – April 1950. *
A candid picture of the Administration Buildings front porch. – May 1950
A ward attendent supervising a group of elderly male patients. – June 1950 *
Female patients cramped into hallways. A daily scene due to the overcrowded conditions at Central State. – July 1950 *
Members of the Shawnee Post, American Legion present a new television set as a gift to the patients at Central. – August 1950. *
Superintendent Dr. A.M. Lyon supervising the installation of two new cafeteria units. – December 1950. *
A Christmas caravan arrives at Central State. – Dec. 1950 *
Thelma Osbourn, a volunteer from the Red Cross joins a central patient in a game of shuffleboard in the male treatment ward. – July 1951 *
The Operating room at Central State. – Circa 1951.
A group of patients enjoying the grounds. – May 1952 *
A photo showing the overcrowded conditions at Central State. – May 1952 *
The newly constructed eastern female wing, built to house 292 patients. – November 1952 *
The beauty shop in the new female wing. – November 1952 *
Side entrance to the newly built east Lyon wing. – Circa 1952
A Christmas caravan arriving at Central State to donate presents to the patients. – December 15, 1952 *
Members of the Grand Jury on their inspection of the conditions in the Merritt Building kitchen. The findings of this inspection would result in the indictments against Superintendent Dr. A.M. Lyon and the hospitals business manger G.W. Kincaid.- April 21, 1953. *
Members of the Grand Jury inspecting the plumbing in the Merritt Building. – April 21, 1953. *
Grand jury members being shown beds set up in the Merritt building hydrotherapy room to relieve overcrowding. – April 21, 1953. *
Dr. Wyman and his family on the front porch of the superintendents residence shortly after his appointment as Superintendent. – June 1953 *
The hospital laundry on fire. – December 1, 1953 *
The Lakeland railroad station shortly before being demolished in March 1956. Built in 1892, this station served as the major arrival point for those visiting the asylum for many years. *
Photos of the Tuberculosis ward. – August 1957 *
Pictures of the new miniature golf course at Central State. – July 1957 *
Clinical Director Dr. C.W. Morris receiving presents from Santa and Mrs. Claus. – January 1958 *
Workers setting up for lunch in the newly refurbished dining hall at Central State. – April 1959 *
Central patients enjoying a County Fair on the grounds. – August 1959 *
Members of the Saint Matthews Junior Chamber of Commerce doing some volunteer painting on Ward O. – November 1959 *
One of the many overcrowded wards at Central State – November 1961 *
Drawing of the proposed new campus buildings. – April 1962 *
The new campus buildings undergoing construction. – June 1963 *
The main entrance to the new Administration building on the new campus. – March 1964 *
Kentucky Governor Edward T. Breathitt is given a laboratory demonstration by Dr. Jan Balling during a tour of the new buildings. – May 1964*
Cornelius Sandifort, the hospitals art therapist explaining some of the art work done by patients to a group of volunteer workers. – October 1964. *
Patients working in the Hospital laundry. – March 1967 *
A patient in their room in the Pusey Building. – March 1967 *
A photo of a ward in the Pusey building showing that even with the additional new buildings at Central State, the overcrowded conditions continued to be a problem. – March 1967 *
Mr. R.C. Abbott, a Central State patient cuts the ribbon at the dedication for the new hospital buildings along with Dr. Dale H. Farabee, the state commissioner of mental health. – November 1967 *
Patients in art therapy. – February 1972 *
Advertisement for nurses. Circa 1982 *
A group of potential investors walking the grounds during an auction of the Administration building. – April 1993 *
The new Central State Hospital campus. – January 1999. *
– Please contact us before using or redistributing any media on this website. Rights are reserved by the appropriate owners.